Thursday, December 27, 2007

Pagerank...Blah

So in the short time that I've been learning about blogging, I've come to both realize and despise the importance of something called Pagerank.

Basically, Pagerank is a score, between 0 and 10, that Google gives your site based on a number of factors, such as links pointing to your site, and the Pagerank of the sites that link to your site. When you first make a site, your Pagerank starts at 0.

Unfortunately, it takes a while for your Pagerank to go up. Google apparently only updates it every few months, so new sites will be ranked 0 (or N/A) for a while no matter what. At least a couple months it seems.

So why does Pagerank matter? Well, there's one big reason that I've found so far, and that involves advertising. It looks like advertisers, including companies that pay you to post, depend heavily on Pagerank. Rather then just looking at your content, they decide how good your site is based primarily on your Pagerank.

I guess I'm just a little bitter at the moment that Google hasn't updated my Pagerank yet...let's hope that that comes soon.

No comments: